Permanent leavers

Students may take permanent withdrawal from the University for a variety of reasons. Please follow the processes explained here.

Please note, the main information below is for taught students. A link for research student processes is at the bottom of this page.

When a student is considering permanent withdrawal

The appropriate member of staff in the school should meet with the student to advise them on their decision including discussion of the possible impact on finance and/or visa, and to direct them to further resources.

Processing permanent withdrawal during the current session

For guidance on student leave, please see the Taught Students Leavers Guide for Staff, available in the downloads section below. 

If a student is registered for the current session and decides to withdraw during the current session, the school should enter leaving data in the Banner form SWATSLF and print this form for the leaver to sign. A short summary of this process is below but the Banner training course B260: Record Keeping covers this topic in full.

The SWATSLF screen must be opened in the current term on the student's file. Enter the relevant information and importantly, tick the submit button before saving (this is often missed). The Operations team will receive a notification to update the Banner record.  

Print a copy of the SWATSLF form for submission (see section on form below for further instructions).

Processing permanent withdrawal outside the academic session

If a student decides to withdraw either before they have re-registered for the next academic session, or at the end of the previous session, use a manual leaver's form.

Completing a taught student leavers' form

This is either printed from SWATSLF or a manual form, as discussed above.

  • The leave date is to be entered as the date the student informed the University in writing of their decision (also referred to as intention) to leave.  
  • Only one reason for leaving should be selected, we cannot record multiple reasons for leaving.
  • The student should sign this form. If it is not possible to get the student's signature, a member of staff in the school can sign on the student's behalf so long as the form is accompanied with verified written confirmation (email or letter) from the student that they intend to withdraw.
  • A member of staff in the parent school should then counter-sign the form.

The form should be scanned and emailed to The form must be submitted within 2 weeks of the leaving date (see leaving date information below).

Reinstating a student who is permanently withdrawn

If a school wishes to reinstate a student who has withdrawn but then changed their mind they should seek guidance from the Student Cases team in the Secretariat.  

Frequently asked questions

What is considered the leaving date for a student?

The leaving date is the date that the student informs the University in writing of their decision (also referred to as intention) to leave, principally via the taught student leavers' form. This form must be submitted within two weeks of the leaving date stated on the form. If this timeframe is not met, the date the school signed the form (if within two weeks) will be taken as the leaving date. If this date is not within two weeks, the date of receipt of the form will be taken as the leaving date. For details on form submission, see above.

The leaving date in Banner will be used to notify external organisations e.g. Home Office and Student Finance England. To ensure the consistency of this information, only the central Student Education Service teams, in particular the Student Services Counter team (not Schools) provide verification of the leaving date.

Postgraduate research students

Information on the process is available from leaving your research due to a change in circumstances on the SES student website.