Registration is an annual process for all students, and it is the School's responsibility to support the students with the process. This page lists downloadable resources for staff to use.
This webpage was updated on 26th October 2022 and is correct at the time of writing for students who are starting programmes in September or October 2022. Please check this page regularly for updates, as new information will be added when it becomes available.
All students must complete the online registration steps to "register" for each academic year. New students (those entering a new course via admissions) also usually need to have their identity checked in order to fully register*. Registration is a separate process to module enrolment; students do not need to be registered to complete module enrolment.
The deadline for students to complete registration and submit their identity check has been extended due to IT issues and is now the 7th November. The deadline for schools to request reinstatement on behalf of these students has also been extended and is now the 21st November.
Identity checks for 2022-23
The Identity Check takes place online and students submit their documents through an MS Form. After the student has uploaded their documents, staff will need to check the documents. If further information is required from the student an email will be sent to the student’s university email address requesting extra information. Staff then process those documents and update Banner accordingly.
The form can be accessed through the link on the how to complete your identity check webpage.
Once the staff member has processed the documents and completed the identity check, the student will receive an email to their university email address to confirm the ID check is complete and with a link to book an appointment to collect their student card and, if applicable, their Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). All of the emails are sent from firstname.lastname@example.org. The emails will also include signposting information.
International students (including EU/EEA/Swiss) can only complete the identity check when they have arrived in the UK.
As well as the identity documents, the MS Form instructs students to upload a passport style photograph. This image is then re-sized and will be uploaded to Banner for staff use. It will also be printed onto the student card.
Student card collection is not a mandatory step of registration and does not mean that a student has necessarily completed all of registration.
Further information is available from our Registration pages.
Please note, external students (ie they are resitting assessment(s) externally) do not register online.
*There is a small list of courses which are exempt from the requirement of identity checks; a full list of exempted programmes can be found within the ARGOS report for "RE students with no ID Checks". If a student on one of these courses has a UK government student loan, they will regardless still need to complete the identity check so that the Funding team can confirm their registration to the Student Loans Company.
If an international student on these courses is in the UK for any part of their study an Identity Check will need to be completed when they arrive in the UK. It is a UKVI requirement we check students have the right to study if they are in the UK for the purpose of study.
The Registration Helpline deals with general and complex registration queries all year round. While the Registration team work remotely, the Student Information Service are available to assist students over the phone and on campus, dedicated to dealing with calls and emails on a wide range of queries:
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: +44 (0)113 343 7000 (outside UK and internal call transfers) or 0800 915 0402 (within UK) – both telephone numbers are answered by Student Information Service staff. The Student Information Service are also available on campus.
For clearly specific registration related queries, students can be directed to the below areas:
- Registration processes and basic troubleshooting: registration pages
- Welcome information for all students: Welcome webpages
- Username/password retrieval: use basic troubleshooting in staff registration guide download (below), then registration helpline (see above)
- Online registration: use registration walkthrough download (below), then registration helpline (see above)
- Fees: fees pages, UGfees@leeds.ac.uk, PGfees@leeds.ac.uk or 0113 343 6700
- Sponsor queries: fees pages, email@example.com or 0113 343 6700
- University bursaries/funds: University funding webpages, firstname.lastname@example.org or 0113 343 2007
- Student Loan/NHS/other funding: external funding webpages, email@example.com
- Accommodation: accommodation webpages, firstname.lastname@example.org or 0113 343 7777
- Accommodation fees: email@example.com
- International students advice (immigration): firstname.lastname@example.org
- International welcome: email@example.com
- Incoming Study Abroad students: firstname.lastname@example.org
- International Foundation Year: email@example.com
- Doctoral College Operations: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Taught admissions (central): taught admissions staff guidance, email@example.com
Our key documents are available as part of the SES Process Library and are linked as downloads below.
Please note we are planning to store and update these documents within the Process Library only, from mid-September onwards. If you have any concerns about this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registration Staff Guide
- Registration Online Steps Walkthrough
- Registration Timeline September-start
- Registration Deadlines Year-Round 202223
- Registration Timeline Schools Example Contact emails
- Registration Reinstatement Form
New student welcome pages and guides
- New student welcome pages (replaces physical and PDF welcome guides)
- International student arrival and orientation pages
If you find you still have questions after reading this page and the resources above, please contact our shared Student Records inbox on email@example.com.