Extensions to study period (taught postgraduate)

If a taught postgraduate student needs additional time to complete their programme (an extension to study), the parent School has to decide whether this is appropriate or not to put forward as a request and which route to follow, as this page describes. 

The standard request process is implemented by the Operations team in Programmes and Assessment. More unusual situations must follow Student Cases procedures.

Standard process requirements

  • “Request extension to” date must be within duration of course plus two years
  • Student must be currently registered
  • The request should be for a maximum of one year at a time
  • Any student studying on a Student Visa will need to have agreement on whether they are required to remain in Leeds for the duration of the extension, and ensure if they do remain, that any Student Visa is granted to cover that time.


An extension fee is applicable but it is at the School's discretion whether the fee should be charged or waived. At most, this is not charged more than once within one term year (e.g. 202324).

Routes to follow

Extensions of less than four weeks

No form is required, you can simply inform the Programmes and Assessment (Operations) team via email with the new expected completion date. Operations will then update the Banner record accordingly, however please note no other teams will be informed of the update and no letter will be sent to the student.

Extensions within standard requirements

Complete a Taught Postgraduate Extension to Study Request form in advance of the current expected completion date. A separate extension form is required for each student and for each new extension (unless the new extension is for less than four weeks).

Once a request in approved and processed on Banner, an automated email is sent to the school and other relevant teams, including the Library. Any extension to study will also extend the student’s library and IT access. Once a week has elapsed (to allow time for fee adjustments), the student will be emailed a pdf letter to their University email confirming the extension to study. The emails will state whether the student needs to register or not. 

Extensions beyond the maximum time limit 

Once the two year "top up" period has elapsed, extensions can only be granted by the Student Cases team in the Secretariat.


Scenarios where an extension request form is not required

The following scenarios entail the student being registered for longer than the initial study period but are not classed as extensions.

Temporary leave

When a temporary leave request is processed, the approval will include an extension to the student’s expected completion date matching the number of months of leave by default – there is no need to complete an extension to study request alongside a temporary leave request. Both the leave process and the taught postgraduate extension to study process will not grant an extension to study reaching beyond 2 years after the standard duration of the student’s course (you would be directed to Student Cases).

Students on "top up" degrees

Some programmes of study allow students to start on a PGCert or PGDip qualification and "top up" to a Masters degree. There are two ways in which the student record can be managed.

For continuous study: If the student is progressing from the PGCert or PGDip to the Masters programme without a gap, update Banner by using the change of programme process. Then email Programmes and Assessment (Operations) and ask them to review and update the record as necessary in order for the student to be able to register if required.

For non-continuous study: If the School has made the award then then the student will need to reapply to the University with "advance standing".

Repeating or resitting or granted first attempts

Once Schools have submitted results after exam boards, the Assessment and Progress team will notify Operations to update Banner.