Change of programme: MA by research to provisional PhD (Arts only)

The document explains the arrangements under which PGRs registered for the degree of MA by Research in the Schools of English, History, LCS and PHRS may be permitted a change of programme to Provisional PhD registration status, before proceeding to an assessment for transfer to PhD.

The Change of programme: Mastership by Research to provisional PhD registration document has more information.

The Postgraduate Research Tutor recommending a change of programme will need to complete the Change of Programme form

The Programmes of Study and Audit Group will consider requests for Mastership by Research candidates registered in other Schools to transfer to Provisional PhD status on an ad hoc basis provided that the request is made early in the candidature allowing sufficient time to prepare for the transfer assessment.

In all cases Tier 4 visa holders should take advice from the International Student Office.  Any Postgraduate Loan payments will cease once the PGR has transferred to Provisional PhD.