Registration is an annual process for all students, and it is the School's responsibility to support the students with the process. This page lists downloadable resources for staff to use.
This webpage was updated on 1st September 2021 and is correct at the time of writing for students who are starting programmes in September 2021. Please check this page regularly for updates, as new information will be added when it becomes available.
All students must complete the online registration steps to "register" for each academic year. New students (those entering a new course via admissions) also usually need to have their identity checked in order to fully register*. Registration is a separate process to module enrolment; students do not need to be registered to complete module enrolment.
Identity checks for 2021-22
This year, the Identity Check takes place online. Rather than visiting the Great Hall and showing their documents, students submit their documents through an MS Form. Staff process those documents and update Banner accordingly. The form can be accessed through the link on students.leeds.ac.uk/registration (identity check page). As well as the identity documents, the MS Form instructs students to upload a passport style photograph. This image is then re-sized and will be uploaded to Banner for staff use. It will also be printed onto the student card.
International students (including EU/EEA/Swiss) can only complete the identity check when they have arrived in the UK. If students will not be arriving for the start of teaching i.e. studying remotely, they should request late arrival permission from their School via the Late Arrival Request form, which is available to students from the New Students webpage.
- If late arrival is approved, the student’s campus flag in the SGASADD More Information section will be updated to ‘Off Campus – Approved’ with the approved expected arrival date. If a student has submitted several requests that have been approved, the most recent approved request will be taken. This is an upload process that is being managed within the Programmes & Assessment (Operations) team on a weekly basis, it is not automatic.
- If rejected, the School are asked to email the student to explain the reason for the rejected late arrival request, and if appropriate, ask the student submit a different late arrival request. No changes will be made to student’s campus status if a request is rejected.
Late expected arrival dates uploaded to Banner allows a student’s identity check deadline to be delayed beyond the standard registration deadline (for their start month), to 30 days beyond their expected arrival date.
After completing the online identity check form
UK & Ireland students: the student will receive an email asking them to book an appointment via EventBrite to collect their student card at the relevant location.
International (including EU/EEA/Swiss): the student will receive a holding email. This will explain that the University is awaiting delivery of their BRP/sharecode for immigration permission (if not provided within the orignial submission). They will receive a second email asking them to book an appointment via EventBrite to collect their student card and BRP (if applicable) at the relevant location after their immigration permission has been processed.
All of the emails are sent from email@example.com. The emails will also include signposting information.
Student card collection is not a mandatory step of registration.
Further information is available from students.leeds.ac.uk/registration.
Please note, external students (ie they are resitting assessment(s) externally) do not register online - you can download more information about external student status and access here.
*There is a small list of courses which are exempt from the requirement of identity checks; a full list of exempted programmes can be found within the ARGOS report for "RE students with no ID Checks". If a student on one of these courses has a UK government student loan they will regardless still need to complete the identity check so that the Funding team can confirm their registration to the Student Loans Company.
The Registration Helpline deals with general and complex registration queries all year round. While the Registration team work remotely, the Registration Helpline telephone number will be used by the Student Information Helpline, dedicated to dealing with calls and emails on a wide range of queries:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Telephone: +44 (0)113 343 7000 (outside UK and internal call transfers) or 0800 915 0402 (within UK) – both telephone numbers are answered by Student Information Helpline staff
For clearly specific registration related queries, students can be directed to the below areas:
- Registration processes and basic troubleshooting: registration pages
- Welcome information for all students: Welcome webpages
- Username/password retrieval: use basic troubleshooting in staff registration guide download (below), then registration helpline (see above)
- Online registration: use registration walkthrough download (below), then registration helpline (see above)
- Fees: fees pages, UGfees@leeds.ac.uk, PGfees@leeds.ac.uk or 0113 343 6700
- Sponsor queries: fees pages, firstname.lastname@example.org or 0113 343 6700
- University bursaries/funds: University funding webpages, email@example.com or 0113 343 2007
- Student Loan/NHS/other funding: external funding webpages, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Accommodation: accommodation webpages, email@example.com or 0113 343 7777
- Accommodation fees: firstname.lastname@example.org
- International students advice (immigration): email@example.com
- International welcome: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Incoming Study Abroad students: email@example.com
- International Foundation Year: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Doctoral College Operations: email@example.com
- Taught admissions (central): taught admissions staff guidance, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registration Staff Guide
- Registration Online Steps Walkthrough
- Registration Timeline September-start
- Registration Deadlines Year-Round 202122
- Registration Timeline Schools Example Contact emails
- Registration Reinstatement Form
New student welcome pages and guides
If you find you still have questions after reading this page and the resources above, please contact our shared student records inbox on email@example.com.