Postgraduate Researcher Development Steering Group
The Postgraduate Researcher Development Steering Group provides strategic direction, oversight and accountability for the delivery of research and transferable skills professional development for postgraduate researchers at the University
The Steering Group undertakes to achieve the objectives listed below.
1. Strategic development
• Promote and further develop a strategic approach to career and professional skills development for postgraduate researchers through the Doctoral College and as part of the Leeds Doctoral Initiative
• Make recommendations to Graduate Board on University strategy and policy for postgraduate researcher career and professional skills development.
2. Programme Management and Quality Assurance
• Oversee career and professional skills development for postgraduate researchers to ensure coherence and complementarity in provision and consistency of experience.
• Provide a means of assuring and enhancing quality of training by:
(a) annually reviewing career and professional skills development provision for postgraduate researchers
(b) evaluating the benefits and impact of career and professional skills development against key performance indicators
(c) disseminating and promoting good practice throughout the University
(d) seeking and reviewing feedback on provision from stakeholders, including postgraduate researchers and the Heads of Faculty Graduate Schools through such mechanisms as the Postgraduate Research Experience Survey (PRES) and Faculty Graduate School Committees.
• Work with Doctoral Training Partnerships, Centres for Doctoral Training and other funded cohort programmes to enhance the scope, quality and effectiveness of researcher development at the University.
• Provide input to University reports to UKRI that refer to postgraduate researcher development matters and make recommendations on any matter arising to Research and Innovation Board and Graduate Board as appropriate.
• Provide assurance that the University is meeting its obligations in respect of any relevant QAA guidelines
• Identify and maintain appropriate mechanisms for consultation and communication with internal and external stakeholders, Faculty Graduate School Committees, Faculty Research and Innovation Committees, the Leeds University Union, UKRI, and Vitae
• Provide and disseminate intelligence on research development and related activities from UKRI and other stakeholders.
Heads of the Faculty Graduate Schools
Academic Development Consultant OD&PL
Head of Academic Practice Team OD&PL
Head of Student Careers
Head of Doctoral College Programmes
Two PGR representatives
By invitation: representatives of other services providing research and transferable skills training (library, language centre, IT);
The Postgraduate Researcher Development Steering Group meets quarterly.