Extensions to study period (taught postgraduate)

A standard procedure is in place for taught postgraduate students to be given extra time to complete their degree programme. This will also extend their library and IT access.

Full time taught postgraduate students are normally registered with the University for one academic session and their student record is in a single "term" in Banner. The maximum registration period allowed by the University is the standard duration of the programme plus two years "top up". 

If students need additional time to complete their programme and schools are happy to support the request, following the process below will ensure the student record is updated as appropriate.

What schools need to do

Extensions of less than four weeks

Inform the Programmes and Assessment (Operations) team via email with the new expected completion date. Operations will then update the record accordingly, no form required.

Extensions within the maximum time period

Complete an extension request form and submit it to Programmes and Assessment (Operations), ideally at least two months before the end of the student's current completion date.

A separate extension form is required for each student and each new extension (unless the new extension is for less than four weeks).  Extensions can be granted for a maximum of one academic year at a time.

Operations will then inform the relevant teams, including the Library, of the student's new expected completion date once an extension has been approved and processed. The school contact will receive an email confirming if the extension is granted at the same time. 

The record will remain in the current Banner "term" and only the end date will be amended if the new expected completion date is no later than the next month end i.e the term record of an October starter can be extended until the end of November.

For extensions of a greater duration that the above, Programmes and Assessment (Operations) will create a new term record for which the student will need to register for.

Extensions beyond the maximum time limit 

Once the two year "top up" period has elapsed, extensions can only be granted by the Student Cases team in the Secretariat.


An extension fee is applicable but it is at the School's discretion whether the fee should be charged or waived.


Scenarios where an extension request form is not required

The following scenarios entail the student being registered for longer than the initial study period but are not classed as extensions.

Students on "top up" degrees

Some programmes of study allow students to start on a PGCert or PGDip qualification and "top up" to a Masters degree. There are two ways in which the student record can be managed.

Continuous study

If the student is progressing from the PGCert or PGDip to the Masters programme without a gap, update Banner by using the change of programme process. Then contact Programmes and Assessment (Operations) and ask them to review and update the record as necessary in order for the student to be able to register if required.

Non-continuous study

If the School has made the award then then the student will need to reapply to the University with "advance standing".


Repeating or resitting or granted first attempts


Banner is updated following submission of results after exam boards via Operations being notified by the Examination team.