PGR Programmes and Quality Group
FInd out more about the group, including terms of reference, membership and dates.
Terms of Reference
- To develop, implement, review and monitor University policy and procedures in relation to the arrangements for research degree candidatures, as required by the Graduate Board
- Extend partnership working with academic and non-academic partners through enhanced internship and entrepreneurship schemes / opportunities for PGRs and through collaborative programmes
- Support development of online and blended doctoral programmes with sustainability in mind
- Monitor emerging global partnerships designed to provide new international research degree opportunities and ensure they support sustainable growth in strategic areas
- To review and monitor Well being in relation to research degree candidatures through programme approval, review activity including survey implementation and outcomes overseeing in particular its application to the Leeds Doctorate: access to resources, services, information and help.
- To take appropriate action, as required by the Graduate Board, in relation to the maintenance of quality and standards for research degree programmes including collaborative awards
- To oversee the University's PGR periodic review; process and monitor outcomes noting any trends that need broader consideration or might impact on policy development. The Group will also seek opportunities to share the best practice with Faculty Graduate Schools.
- To oversee the framework for PGR experience feedback surveys through PRES and the International Student Barometer and determine the process for analysis, review, action planning and overall evaluation.
- To send forward recommendations to the Graduate Board on the following matters, where appropriate: The introduction of new research programmes of study and amendments to existing programmes and associated courses including programmes delivered in partnership with other institutions, Proposed amendments to Ordinances and Regulations for research degrees.
- Liaison and consultation with Faculty Graduate School Committees as necessary.
- Liaison and consultation with other Groups of the Graduate Board as necessary.
Membership of the PGR Programmes and Quality Group
- Chair - Ronaldo Ichyama (2022-2025)
Normally one academic representative from each of the Faculties with experience of PGR supervision and examination*:
- Arts, Humanities and Cultures - vacancy
- Biological Sciences - Jon Lippiat (2021-2024)
- Business - Jyoti Mishra (2019-2022)
- Environment - Milena Buchs (2021-2024)
- Engineering & Physical Sciences - vacancy & vacancy
- Medicine and Health - Peter Laslo (2020-2023)
- Social Sciences - Aisha Walker (2018-2022)
- Representative of the Taught Student Education Board (also a Pro-Dean for Student Education) - TBC
- Representative of the PGR Recruitment Group: TBC
- A PGR Representative to be appointed by Leeds University Union or the Education Officer
- Quality Assurance - Jenny Lyon
- Disabled Support Service - Janne Oinonen
- Doctoral College - Christina Robinson, Paula North and Kirsty Clarke
* Appointment of Faculty Representatives on the Group is the responsibility of the Faculty Graduate School Committee.
Dates of Meetings 2023/24
Monday 30th October 2023, 14:00-15:30
Monday 22nd January 2024, 14:00-15:30
Monday 18th March 2024, 14:00-15:30
Monday 20th May 2024, 14:00-15:30