Reduced time at Leeds for postgraduate researchers

Postgraduate researchers may undertake a limited amount of research away from the University, either on approved fieldwork or in approved academic institutions or scientific, clinical or industrial locations.

This could apply to postgraduate researchers studying under Marie Curie ITN initiatives, Horizon 2020 or as part of industrial sponsorship. Split-site programmes are considered under a seperate process.

Schools should set out the planned arrangements and make a request to Doctoral College Operations if it is anticipated that this time away will exceed 12 months of the total period of study. Transfer and examination must take place at the University of Leeds. 

The following information should be included:


  1. Details of the programme, including any partners involved in the project
  2. Reasons for why the PGR is not able to undertake this research at the University of Leeds 
  3. The locations where the PGR will be studying
  4. A proposed schedule of study, including a month-by-month breakdown of activity to undertaken and in which location
  5. Details of any visits by the supervisor(s) to the proposed location
  6. How the supervision team will continue regular supervision meetings during the PGR's time away from the University

This request will then be considered by the Chair of PGR Programmes and Quality Group. PGRs studying under a Student visa must declare any change of location to Doctoral College Operations