Research degree supervision eligibility
The Graduate Board provides criteria for appointing research degree supervisors.
A supervision team must meet certain criteria. At least one supervisor in the team must be:
- A permanent member of academic staff
- On a contract of more than 0.5FTE
- Not on probation
- An experienced supervisor (a minimum of three years' experience)
This does not have to be the lead supervisor; it can be any member of the team.
All supervisors should have attended the ODPL course Effective research student supervision or undertaken the online course available for experienced supervisors who are new to Leeds.
If you have an incoming member of staff from another higher education institution who meets the eligibility criteria, email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of their experience, including:
- Supervisor name
- Start date
- Previous institution(s) and dates of employment there
- Number of research students awarded, their courses of study (PhD/Masters by Research), their start and end dates and the start and end dates of supervision (if different)
If you have a member of staff (incoming or other) who does not meet the eligibility criteria a case will need to be considered by the Chair of Programmes of Study and Audit Group.
Please contact email@example.com highlighting which points of the eligibility criteria they do not meet and the reasons for why they should still be considered.