Coping with the death of a friend or relative can be exceptionally difficult, and can have a significant impact on all concerned. Find out what support is available for students, and the information staff may need to provide support and help.

University support

The Universities’ Chaplaincy in Leeds: experienced chaplains will listen and offer support and guidance to students regardless of faith.

Student Counselling and Wellbeing: experienced and accredited counsellors offer counselling during emotionally and psychologically difficult times following completion of a self-referral form. There are also a range of online and self-help resources

Leeds University Union Nightline: run by students for students, trained volunteers can offer students a confidential non-advisory listening and information service overnight during term time by phone (8pm - 8am) and instant messaging (8pm - 12am).

Student Mental Health Team: mental health specialists provide free and confidential support, and signposts to other organisations.

Leeds Student Medical Practice or GP: GPs will be able to provide a range of support services particularly to students who are struggling to cope.

LUU Student Advice Centre: based within Leeds University Union, it offers free, confidential and impartial advice on the support services available within and outside the University.

School and Academic Personal Tutors: Student Support Teams in schools and Academic Personal Tutors will be able to provide advice, support and guidance in connection with taking time off to attend funerals and completing mitigating circumstances requests if academic performance has been adversely affected.

Hardship Funding: the University Hardship Funds provide financial support to enable students to stay in Higher Education if the person who has died was helping with University-associated costs - particularly if help is needed with costs which cannot be met from other sources of support. The Hardship Funds cannot help with tuition fees, University fines or debt.

International students: any students studying in Leeds on a Tier 4 visa should contact the International Student Office before leaving the UK to attend a funeral.

Help from outside the University

Other organisations that give support following a bereavement include: