SUPPORT FOR DISABLED INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
The University welcomes disabled international students and can offer support, advice and guidance.
Our Disability Services team is one of the largest in the UK, with a range of specialist staff members working to support disabled students.
Disabled international students should register with Disability Services to access a wide range of free support, for example:
- modified examination arrangements
- equipment loan, if available
- extended library loans
- disabled students early induction programme
- accessibility within IT computer clusters
- transcription for eligible print-disabled students.
In addition, additional forms of support may be available through external funding such as Disabled Students’ Allowances or bursaries. Eligbility for this funding depends on an international student’s course and nationality. More information on this funding can be found on our dedicated disabled international students page.
We understand that applying for this funding can be complex. Disabled international students are warmly encouraged to contact Disability Services on firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Short-term support for disabled international students
The Disabled Students Access Fund is open to applications from all disabled students and pays for support for non-academic related activities.
Examples of the support that this funding may be provided for include:
- if a student has just arrived at the University and requires support to access essential facilities such as a bank, supermarket or other facilties
- if a student requires someone to accompany them to a club, society or recreational facility for the first time
- to support participation in an activity that is relevant to a student’s course of study where reasonable adjustments by the provider will not fully address their support needs.
Getting in touch
If students have been accepted on a course at the University and would like to let us know about their support needs, they can download the support requirements form to complete and return to email@example.com. If you would like to speak to someone in Disability Services about support, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0113 343 3927.