Disabled international students

Unlike "home" disabled students, disabled international students are not entitled to UK Government funding for academic support.  

Disability Services are one of the largest in the UK, with a range of specialist staff members working to support disabled students.

There are many types of support we can deliver in Disability Services, some of the services we can provide are offered at no cost, for example:

  • modified examination arrangements
  • equipment loan, if available
  • extended library loans
  • disabled students early induction programme
  • accessibility within IT computer clusters
  • transcription for eligible print-disabled students.

Some of the other services we provide have a cost associated with them, because of the way higher education funding in the UK is structured. In addition, some kinds of support that they may be used to receiving in their home country/university could be different from that provided here.

To help students understand and plan their stay at University, Disability Services has produced information detailing some of the things which might require additional funding, for example:

  • personal assistance
  • note taking in lectures.

For more information, please view the disabled international students page on the student site. 

If short-term support for non-academic related activities is needed, there is an 'Access Fund' available to apply for.   


Getting in touch 

If students have been accepted on a course at the University and would like to let us know about their support needs, they can download the support requirements form to complete and return to disability@leeds.ac.uk. If you would like to speak to someone in Disability Services about support, email disability@leeds.ac.uk or call 0113 343 3927.