Applications for postgraduate research degrees
Research postgraduate applicants apply online. Applications are handled by relevant Schools and offers are made by the Postgraduate Research and Operations office.
How do applicants apply?
Postgraduate applicants can apply online where they are able to track their application at each stage of the process.
Schools may be approached by potential international student visitors. To comply with immigration rules, a policy and agreed process are now in place.
What makes a complete application?
As well as a fully completed application form, the following supporting information will usually be needed before a decision can be made on an application:
- degree certificate and academic transcripts
- evidence of English language proficiency if required
- Either a brief description of the general research area in which an applicants is interested, or a specific research proposal or specific project depending on the School or programme (including Centre for Doctoral Training programmes)
- two references (as advised by the academic school).
- Download our referees report
What happens after applications are made?
Once an applicant has submitted their application, they receive an automated acknowledgement email. This email will include a reminder of an applicants login ID and PIN which they will need to re-enter the online admission pages to track their application. Once an application has been submitted applicants will be able to login and track its progress at anytime.
Once the school has received the application then potential supervisors and other admissions staff will consider it.
The school may contact applicants directly if they have any further entry requirements, for example interviews and other paperwork
Once the school has made a decision, Postgraduate Research and Operations will:
- authorise the school's decision
- check your supporting evidence
- issue the offer letter alongside with information on how to respond
Find out more about split site students.