Creating new exchanges

If you are thinking about setting up a new exchange for study abroad, please contact the Study Abroad Office and complete a proposal for a new study abroad agreement.

How to set up a new exchange

If you would like to set up a new exchange for study abroad, please contact the Study Abroad Office (SAO) before completing any documentation. The SAO will give you advice on what information you will need and discuss the general suitability of the proposed partner. This includes consideration about whether the link is likely to be reciprocal as all exchanges are based on one student in for one out.

For further information, please contact Greg Miller (Head of Student Placement).

Process after contacting the Study Abroad Office 

The proposer must complete a proposal for a new study abroad agreement and a partner report before a new study abroad partner can be approved.

  1. The completed proposal documents for a new student exchange agreement should be submitted in the first instance to the relevant School Taught Student Education Committee (STSEC) and then to the Faculty Programme Approval Group (FPAG).
  2. The committees will consider the proposal with regard to 
    a) the academic coherence of the programme; 
    b) the linguistic preparedness of outgoing students; 
    c) the likelihood of student demand in both directions such that the exchange will be balanced; 
    d) the suitability of the partner institution, including national and international ranking and professional accreditations, where relevant; 
    e) the student support arrangements, as described in the partner report.

The FPAG membership may be supplemented by colleagues with particular expertise in Study Abroad or from the Study Abroad Office for the purpose of the consideration.

No arrangement can be implemented unless it has been approved in full by the Programme Approval Group and reported to the Head of Study Abroad, who will negotiate the formal legal agreement and arrange for the partnership to be advertised to students.

If the university is an existing partner a Partner Report is not necessary. A Partner Report can be completed by the proposed partner however this should be checked and, if necessary, added to by the proposing school. A site visit is recommended before a new agreement is created although this is at the discretion of the proposing school.

If you are considering language preparation content for a new proposal then please refer to the Language Attainment Guidelines.