The Funding section, within the Student Education Service, processes awards made to students on behalf of their School (for example, as part of a postgraduate maintenance award) or on behalf of a University Service.
Please note that Postgraduate Research and Operations administer centrally funded (University) scholarships and awards separately.
- Form 10 used to authorise one-off lump sum payments, for one or multiple students
- Form 22 used to authorise regular monthly maintenance payments
Process Overview: Notifying Funding
- Individual in the School or Service completes the Form 10 or 22
- An Authorised Signatory emails the form directly to email@example.com (not cc-ed or bcc-ed).
- If all necessary information has been provided and sent by an Authorised Signatory, Funding will enter the award on the Banner payment system. This will go into the weekly payment cycle matching the requested processing date (or the next available payment cycle if the date has already passed)
From the 1st July 2017 Funding will only be accepting the new versions of Forms 10 and 22s. Any old versions will not be processed and therefore payments may not be made. Any Forms submitted by a non-Authorised Signatory will not be processed.
Forms: What to Use and How (the Dos and Don'ts)
We have created a range of forms that should meet the needs of different Schools and Services across the University. We have aimed to keep complexity to a minimum however, if you have any issues inputting information on a form, please contact Funding and we will be happy to provide you with extra information or training.
Please use one of the following template spreadsheets to complete a payment request:
- Form 10 [excel spreadsheet]: used to request one-off lump sum payments to one or multiple students from one cost object number. Limit of up to 1000 students; if the request is for a higher number of payments multiple forms will need to be completed.
- Form 22 used to request regular monthly
maintenance payments. Please choose the appropriate Form:
- Monthly - to pay one or multiple students for monthly periods from the same cost object number
- [Excel spreadsheet Form F22 monthly]
- Quarterly - to pay one or multiple students for quarterly periods from the same cost object number
- [Excel spreadsheet Form F22 Quarterly]
- Single student - paying one student from one or more cost object numbers. Available in Word and Excel format
- [Excel spreadsheet: Single Student F22]
- [Word: F22]
- Check that the Cost Object Number quoted is in a valid format
- Check that the Student ID number(s) quoted match the students listed
- Preserve the formatting of the form, especially when pasting in data. The font size must be legible in order for Funding to be able to process the payment request.
- Add notes in the relevant field of the Form 10/22 (if for example an award should be paid even if the payee is no longer a registered student of the University)
- For an amendment to an award that does not result in the student receiving increased money, complete the relevant pro forma Payment Amendment Form.This includes: cancelling an award, suspending an award pending further instructions, changing the cost object number, reducing the amount of an award, or changing the payment schedule. In order to increase an existing award to a student, send another form for the extra amount only not for the new total. The amendment form should be sent by an authorised signatory to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check that your Authorise Signatory List is up-to-date.
- On Form 10s choose a payment date which is a Tuesday.
- On Form 22s choose a start date which is the first day of the month and an end date which is the last day of the month.
- Not send replacement forms, or forms which supersede previously submitted forms.
- Not send Form 22s which span across the start/end date of the payee students personal academic year.
- Not alter the form from a landscape set up to portrait as this will affect the ability to input data.
- Not leave mandatory fields blank.
- Not scan Form 10s or 22s and send them as pdf attachments.
- Not send information formatted in a font size so small that it cannot comfortably read without resulting in eye strain. Any such forms may be rejected.
- Not re-send Form 10s or 22s to email@example.com in order to query them. Any forms sent to this e-mail address are liable to be paid, so re-sending forms could result in a duplicate payment being made. Any queries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Form 10/22s cannot be used for the following:
- The award must not contain any element of payment for work performed by the recipient for or on behalf of the University of Leeds. Awards may only be paid to registered students of the University of Leeds. Payments for work done should be processed by Payroll.
- The award must not constitute a refund of an overpayment of accommodation or tuition fee payments made by the student to the University. The student should contact the Fees office directly to discuss the overpayment.
- The award cannot make reimbursements of costs incurred which require receipted evidence (for example travel expenses).
Any notes must be made in the Departmental Notes section. Any notes added to the body of the submission email will not be seen.
Changes to Awards/Querying Awards
If you have any queries regarding the processing of a payment, please contact Funding directly for further information.
Payment Processing Times
Student payments are processed by BACS (Bankers Automated Clearing System) to go to students bank accounts. The payment process is run weekly every Monday/Tuesday, for any payments requested to enter student bank accounts that Friday. Forms must reach Funding at email@example.com by 4pm on a Friday in order to ensure inclusion in the following weeks payment run (unless a payment date further in the future is requested).
Monthly payments are scheduled to be paid in advance and are due by the 1st of the month. As we can only make payment on a Friday, where the 1st of the month does not fall on a Friday, payments clear the preceding Friday. Christmas, Easter and Bank Holidays may also impact on the exact payment date. For budgeting purposes students should be always be advised that payments are due by the 1st of the month, and should not be advised of any other dates.
Student bank account details:
Students receiving an award need to supply their bank account details via the secure University Portal.
Registration status of the student:
Usually the University of Leeds will only process payments to registered students (Banner codes: RE or RO). An award will not be paid via the standard process whenever a student:
- hasn't registered (Banner codes: EL, EN, ER, NR, NS)
- has withdrawn (Banner codes: WD WA NA)
- is under examination (Banner codes: UE)
- has suspended (Banner codes: CS, SF, SP)
- is external (Banner codes EF, EP)
Payments will be made in these situations if the individual case is agreed via email with a member of Funding, with an authorised signatory copied in.
Where the student is not RE/RO and no extra arrangement is made, overdue instalments remain pending on their file. If the student does later become RE/RO for the academic year of their award, overdue instalments will be processed to reach the bank account as a single sum in the following payment cycle.
Payments over multiple academic years:
To request an award outside the students academic year, typically two Form 22s need to be raised. The first to pay x number of instalments, taking the award to the start of the students academic year. The second to pay the balance of the award over the remaining months.
Retention of Form 10/22s
Copies of all Form 21/22/10s should be retained by Schools/Faculties for the statutory retention period. For Research Council funded students a copy of all Form 21/22/10s should be retained by Schools/Faculties for up to 12 months after the grant has closed. Form 10/22s will be retained by Funding for two years.
Argos Report for Staff
An Argos report has been developed for staff, enabling them to determine i) which students have awards set up against a particular cost object number, ii) whether the awards have been paid, and iii) if the awards have not yet been paid, what cause of non-payment is likely to be. Staff can find instructions for using the Argos report here.
For enquiries and extra help or advices please contact Funding using the information below:
Student Services Centre
Marjorie and Arnold Ziff Building
University of Leeds
Please send completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that this is an automated email address, no message in the body of the email will be picked up. Please use the Departmental Notes section of the Form 10/22 if extra information is required to process the payment, or contact Funding directly on the above email address.